What vitamins are good for acne clearing?
SO I think you might already know this, but I’m kinda a super book worm.
As in like… I read all dayum day, to/from work, at night when I get home ( I don’t have cable ) and even when I go out on Friday nights, I legit bring a book in my purse for the subway home.
I’m obsessed with books, 100%, and definitely books that are about self help, wellness, healthy living and natural healing.
So back in the fall when I was starting to feel a bit of brain fatigue at the end of a few really busy days, being the nerd I am, I went on the hunt for some books/education.
I wanted to find some answers to help me step up my “performance-game” to feel a bit better throughout the day- and for info on things that also would help me feel more energized, focused, and give me more stamina.
On my hunt, I found a book, Change Your Brain and Change Your Life and I got a ton of inspiration out of it.
This book totally inspired my vitamin game (although I’m already pretty intense in the vitamin game, I can always be better:) and I know that you might want some suggestions for what the best vitamins are to help heal acne, so I wanted to give you some ideas.
In a later post (part 2 of this one!) I’m going to go over all of the vitamins I take on a daily basis for “optimum performance” but for now, for you, mi amor….
Here are 6 vitamins that may help to clear your acne:
Zinc for acne:
- Can decrease oil production in the skin, and can protect against bacterial infection and inflammation in general.
- In studies, it’s been shown that people with acne often have remarkably lower levels of zinc, while people with clear skin have normal levels of zinc in their blood.
- Zinc is a powerful antioxidant, and actually in certain studies, has been known to kill acne bateria in a test tube!
- Take a gander at a study on zinc’s affect on acne here.
The best amount of zinc to take daily is somewhere between 10-20mg. Always check with your doctor though:)**
Omega 3 fatty acids for acne:
These vitamins are kinda like the holy grail for all skin and health things-they’re the reason why everyone is always telling you to eat salmon for breakfast lunch and dinner!
Omega 3 fatty acids belong to a group of fats called “polyunsaturated fats”.
Three main Omega 3s that are talked about often are ALA, EPA and DHA.
- ALA helps our bod with energy and is the building block for EPA and DHA.
- EPA helps lower inflammation on the whole (which is super great for acne).
- DHA helps our brain and cognitive functions.
- They can lower your triglyceride levels- helping your heart:)
- Harvard also loves omega 3s.
- Check out this article on omega 3s and their effect on acne, there’s a cool picture that shows you actual results!
A grand total of 1 gram (1000 miligrams) a day is what I take:)**
Vitamin B for acne:
There are actually a few different types of B vitamins:
- B1– often called the “anti stress” vitamin because it helps your body’s immune system.
- B5-(Pantothenic Acid)- helps your skin to reduce wrinkling and sun spots, (and as a result, acne scaring and hyper pigmentation) helps wound healing (again, for acne healing) it also helps to increases levels of glutathione which acts as an antioxidant in your cells.
- B6 (Pyridoxine)- helps to reduce the production of sebum, or oil- a major contributor to any acne problems you may be feeling.
- B7- (Biotin)- is known as the “beauty vitamin” because of its support for hair skin and nails – it can also help the body breakdown oils more efficiently, so that your skin processes the oil a bit differently.
Vitamin B helps to regulate your skin’s pigment production, helping you to avoid hyperpigmentation that often comes with acne scarring, so muy bueno.
My favorite part about Vitamin B for the skin actually has to do with its stress reduction abilities- which is super key for anyone with acne- because it’s so fareaking-stressful-and-we-want-it-gone-right-now-why-do-I-still-have-this-zit-I-can’t-stand-it. (Hahah, amirite?!)
My suggestion would be to find some type of “B-Complex” vitamin that has as many of the B vitamins I listed above, and start to experiment a bit.
Again, I find vitamin B’s most important affect on me to be the energy/happy element of it- it super helps with my stress levels which helps my skin overall:)**
Selenium for acne:
One of the most important reasons to add selenium to your diet is to help increase levels of glutathione in your cells; gluthathione acts as an antioxidant, which as we know, is muy bueno.
- There have been a few studies done where the combination of Vitamin E + Selenium helped to decrease the severity of acne.
- People with acne have often been found to have low levels of selenium in their bods, so kinda like with zinc from above!
200 micrograms necessary for an adequate intake.**
Vitamin D for acne:
Often called the “sunshine vitamin” Vitamin D has been known to help in strengthening the bones and the skin.
- The main way Vitamin D helps to deal with acne is by it’s positive affects on your sebaceous glands, aka the oil glands.
- It helps to regulate those and calm the normal inflammatory response that our skin often has when we have acne.
Generally around 600mg, but again, always, always check in with your doctor first.**
Probiotics for acne:
This is kinda like the holy grail in terms of skin health. I take a probiotic every day to keep the bacteria balanced in my belly- and this balancing can have a major impact on your acne.
- Probiotics are supplements you can take to help the growth of GOOD bacteria that helps maintain the natural balance of organisms (microflora) in your intestines.
You want your probiotics to try to have at least these two things:
1. At least 10 Billion live cultures
2. Includes the two strains; Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium
A few brands that I like that I’ve tried are: Garden of Life Raw probiotics for women (they have a vegetarian option), I’ve heard great things about Dr. Ohhira’s probiotics, and Culterelle is a simple, cheaper brand.**
What do you think, do you have any vitamins that you feel have had a majorly awesome effect on your skin?
Wondering why you still have acne even though you’re doing everything right? Check out the 6 reasons you might still have acne here.
Need some more scientific deets on acne + diet? Check them out here.
Stay tuned for the next post on vitamins I use daily for my skin and bod to stay top of the line!!!
*In the effort of full disclosure, I may receive an affiliate commission if you purchase one of the above items. But either way- I own this book, love it and I take these vitamins daily.
**Always always check any vitamins with your doctor. A few of these vitamins are not FDA approved, so keep this in mind and be aware that they may have adverse affects on your bod and you should always, always check with your doctor first before you take vitamins.
Want a few more acne clearing vitamins? Grab more here in Part 2 of the acne clearing vitamins series.