I know that if you’re reading this, you’re most likely dying for a way to treat acne after stopping birth control, naturally.
Believe me, I hear you.
I tried all different types of birth control over the years before I healed my acne for good.
I tried ortho tri cyclen, ortho tri cyclen low, yaz….
All of them cleared my skin AND:
– made me depressed
– made me gain a lot of weight
– made me break out, just in different places….
– OR, all of the above.
Now, I think you might have had similar experiences….
…taking birth control has been a godsend for your skin, you experience NO negative side affects, BUT, you want to get off it, because you think synthetic hormones are really bad.
…And, you’re completely terrified of what will happen to your skin if you DO go off the pill and it goes crazy.
BUHLIEVE me, I understand this.
And let’s be honest, the birth control pill CAN have really positive effects, too.
It can clear your skin, relieve cramps and endometriosis, regulate super irregular periods, not to mention the TINY detail of preventing unwanted pregnancy… it DOES have it’s merits.
If you want to go off birth control but you’re afraid to because of how your skin will react…
If you’ve already gone off and your skin is a freaking MESS, then, well, this blog post is for you.
I wanted to give you some action steps and support around how to treat acne after stopping birth control pills, because I’ve been there and I know you might be there too.
Here are the 5 most important steps you can take to start to heal hormonal acne after birth control:
1. You must support your liver.
- Your liver uses B vitamins to process hormones. Since you’ve been adding hormones in for quite a while now, your liver has been using B vitamins up like CRAZY. Your body needs B vitamins for happy-skin-vibes, so without them, your skin will not be a happy camper.
- I go over why B vitamins are important here in the what vitamins are good for acne post, but suffice it to say, they do A LOT for your body in terms of anti-inflammation and health.
- Your liver stores and concentrates your bile for you, and bile is incredibly important because it helps you absorb essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins. Unfortunately, the estrogen in birth control pills actually suppresses the production of bile, so it makes absorbing those incredibly important vitamins and fatty acids almost impossible.
SO, how can you BEST support your liver?
Take these 3 steps:
- Start every morning with a lemon juice and cayenne water, that I talk about over in my post on the Heal Your Face With Food Detox. This drink will encourage bile production, which is key to supporting your liver.
- Take a sip of some dandelion root tea. NOW, full disclosure, it is NOT the best tasting drink BUT it also helps to increase the flow of bile, so it’s incredibly important.
- Stay away from alcohol for at least 30 days to free up your liver of some of the work it has to do. When you drink, your liver works double time and we really want to make sure it’s only having to focus on one thing at a time, right?
2. Balance your belly.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again until I’m blue in the face; balancing the bacteria in your stomach is one of the most important things you can do to help heal your skin.
It was the #1 thing that changed my skin the most when I first started to heal my acne naturally, and it’s something that I’ve paid attention to, and am diligent about, to this day.
I talk a bit about why it’s important to heal your belly here, so head there for the full discussion, and in the meantime, follow these two steps:
- Take a probiotic every single day. (Read more about probiotics here.)
- Eat fermented foods every single day. (Grab the recipe for a fermented food here.)
3. Explore some supplement options, like zinc, omega 3s and/or milk thistle.
Here’s why; when you’ve been adding in to your bod excess hormones every month, your body will need some cleansing.
I recommend that everyone healing their acne naturally start with these items:(after talking to your doctor, of course, because I am not a doctor, see disclaimer here)
- Zinc for inflammation. (Read more about zinc here.)
- Omega 3s for inflammation. (Read more about Omega 3s here.)
- Milk thistle, an herbal supplement that’s been known to help acne. Because it also increases the flow of bile-it helps you flush toxins and bacteria out of your body through your digestive system, as opposed to your skin. (If you’re still on birth control right now, fyi, this CAN affect the efficacy of that- so make sure you discuss it with your doctor.)
4. Exercise, regularly.
No, I’m not talking about doing a 10K tomorrow:)
I’m talking about taking consistent steps to move your body in a way that benefits you physically AND emotionally.
If you read my post on what type of workouts you should be doing, you’ll get my drift.
It’s not about being skinny or having the summer body….It’s about working out consistently so that you start to regulate your hormone levels like estrogen and testosterone naturally, and easily.
So what can you do?
I like to recommend that you go right now and put some workouts in your planner. Right now! (Wait, finish this post first:)
Go to your gym’s website and/or your yoga studio (anything that has workouts that you actually enjoy doing) and schedule them in right now.
5. Sleep, normally and consistently:
According to this study, your level of stress increases by almost 14% for every hour of sleep you lose.
Why does that matter for your skin?
When you have increased amounts of stress, you have more glucocorticoid production, which can have a negative affect on your skin cells and their structure.
Regular sleep patterns and habits regulate not only your stress levels, they help to regulate all of your hormones, including the hormones like serotonin and cortisol, some of which also deeply impact your mood.
So, what can you do if getting normal amounts of sleep, consistently, are already really hard for you?
I want you to go to your calendar right now and schedule in a bedtime and a “book time” for the next 10 days.
This means for example, that tonight, at 9:30, it’s “screens off – books up” .
This means you have a book in hand and your phone is OFF, (I prefer a simple sifi thriller) and you read for 30 minutes before bed to allow your mind to slowly unwind before you drift off to a peaceful sleep.
We want you to get into the habit of really making sleep (and relaxing as a result) part of your daily routine.
SO, let’s go over the 5 steps right now to heal hormonal acne after birth control and put an action plan in place for you:
Start to support your liver.
- Start every am with a lemon and cayenne tea.
- Try dandelion root tea.
- Stay away from alcohol for 30 days.
Balance the bacteria in your belly.
- Take a probiotics
- Eat fermented foods.
Explore supplement options(after speaking with your doctor)
- Start on some zinc supplements
- Try omega 3 supplements
- Explore and research milk thistle, maybe give it a try
- Create a regular and consistent workout schedule for the next 10 days and STICK TO IT.
- Set up a regular sleep schedule over the next 10 days, stick to it, and actually take note of how you feel.
So what do you think? What step will you take TODAY to start to treat your hormonal acne after birth control? Leave me a comment below, I love to hear what you’re thinking!